Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It's Monday right?

Sure I could blame prego brain for my spacey realization that today is, in fact, Tuesday. But what sort of blog-ist would I be? Okay, so I missed my Monday writing, but lets all face it, everyone thought of today at Monday and will feel as though the week is short when we hit Friday for a new weekend. That being said, I still want to take the time to say "Happy Monday" to all my readers, and also to say I hope you all had a great weekend.

I often hear, especially among military families such as ours, that the men "make the money" and the woman spend it. Even this afternoon my husband jokingly said, "isn't it funny how I always ask you for money for a car part, as though I need your permission? I mean, I bring home the paycheck!" I laughed at him and responded, "Hey, if you want the headache of paycheck budgeting, you can have it." And, of course, he refused! It was all in fun, but it got me thinking. Not only do more then 60% of American wives and/or moms balance the checkbook, pay bills, and make decisions when things need to be arranged for a sudden expense. They also must have a major sway on their children and the money management skills that are acquired.

'"Moms do handle a lot of the day-to-day spending decisions, and that's what kids see," says Patricia Seaman, a spokeswoman for the National Endowment for Financial Education. "When they're young, they are dragged to everything with mom, for school, shopping for groceries, for clothes, to the garden center and to the ATM. It's not just spending decisions. They may also be exposed to money handling habits, like using cash or credit cards or checks," Seaman says.' For source, click here.

I know all of us must have paydays that we are pulling our hair out. My last one was like this. Debt might be part of the problem, or bad planning for big expenses like vehicle registration (as was my case). But a scary concept is what my daughter learns by seeing my reactions or the way I shop. We may all need to examine the way we are influencing our kiddos in this VERY important subject that is often overlooked. If we don't tell them the danger of interest rates or credit cards, who will? If we don't show them to plan ahead and save, will they make the mistake of spending all that they have all the time?

I am thankful that I have thought of this so that I can make the effort to show Brylie the "way that she should go" [proverbs 22:6] when it comes to her finances. In the same way I tell her everything daddy makes for us at work is really Gods, so too, should I show her the best way to use it as God would want us to.

And lastly, I am so thankful that I can show her that hard work and making money doesn't have to be separate from family and home. My home business is showing her that I can make money and still be here to home school her, play with her, and take care of our home. What mother,child, or hard working dad for that matter, doesn't love the concept of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment