Monday, August 5, 2013

What makes a runner, well, a runner

I am NOT a runner. I go for runs fairly regularly, and occasionally I even crave the stress busting power of a run. That's not to say I won't eventually become a runner. Like so many things, time changes circumstances and preferences. But as of last nights' 3 mile run, I am pretty sure I still don't like it. I just like the results of the cardio workout it provides. But I can say that I am not a runner with certainty because I have figured out what it is that makes a runner a runner.

As I sweet talked myself up a steep hill yesterday, I couldn't help notice there were two types of drivers passing me on the road. There were the kind, smiling faces behind the wheel that moved over for me. And there were the frowning, speed demons that flew by me and left a gust of dirt swirling against me. And it got me thinking about the kind of driver I had converted to since April when I began running for health reasons. Beforehand, I moved over for the runners but I felt guilty, annoyed, and like every runner was rubbing their health and commitment in my face. Now that I run too, I wave and smile at every runner I see, or cheer them on if they pass me when I am pushing my girls at the park or along the road.

At the end of the day, runners run because they love it or they are super committed to their goals. If you drive by them and feel like they are showing off, maybe its time you became a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment